It’s rather user-friendly:
Begin with downloading USB Network Gate from its official website. Then install in on every PC that you need to share your device with.
Run the application on the machine that is directly connected to the device you want to share. Find your device on the list of USB peripherals connected to the PC and click ‘Share‘. From here on, any machine in your network that has USB Network Gate installed and running will be able to gain remote access to the shared device. There’s also an option to protect your connection with encryption or compress transmitted data.
On top of that, with USB Network Gate, you can determine the port that’ll have your device connected to.
Now you know how to share a scanner over Ethernet, yet still, this method has its pluses and minuses:
- Free 14-day trial so you can have a proper test-drive before throwing in any funds;
- Versions available for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Android;
- Perfect for sharing a vast amount of USB peripherals, counting scanners;
- 24/7 tech support
- Not a shareware
- The license isn’t at a cheap rate.
Solution by Windows OS
There’s another way to share a scanner over Ethernet for Windows users - by the use of a specialized system feature.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Make sure that your scanner is connected to a network machine or a modem/router, and all the necessary installation was accomplished.
Launch the Control Panel from the Start menu. Go to ‘Network and Sharing Center’ and click ‘View network computers and devices‘. Once you’ve located your device’s icon, right-click on it and pick ‘Install’. From then on, the device becomes available from other machines in your network.
- Only available for Windows 7 and Vista. For any other Windows versions, we recommend using USB Network Gate.
- No encryption or password protection, so any confidential information on a shared device is accessible to all of your network’s users.
Given all the strengths and weaknesses of either of the two methods, it is clear that USB Network Gate, being a multiplatform application, is the most effective tool for sharing a USB scanner over Ethernet. It allows you to share a USB peripheral with several remote PCs with maximum safety and security.