Streaming a webcam over a local network
Looking for an easy way to share a USB webcam with another computer you may come across a variety of software solutions that slightly differ in functionality and enable you to access USB devices over the network. But if you want a software tool that stands out for its reliability and has proved to be one of the most efficient USB redirection apps on the market, you should consider USB Network Gate by Electronic Team, Inc.
Share a webcam over Ethernet securely with a dedicated software app
USB Network Gate is a simple yet powerful software application designed to virtualize USB ports making them available for remote access over Ethernet. Essentially, the software works across any network including LAN and the Internet. It is extremely easy to install and setup. What makes this program a top choice for many users is its intuitive interface and modern design. In order to share a USB webcam over Ethernet, you will need to make just a few mouse clicks.
Here’s how it works:
- To start, you install USB Network Gate on the PC to which your webcam is connected directly.
- Then, launch the program and head to the “Local USB devices" tab. In the list of devices that you’ll see, there will be your webcam, so all you need to do is click the “Share” button next to it.
- Once done, you should install and start USB Network Gate on a client computer, the one from which you will access the webcam remotely.
- On the client PC, you open the “Remote USB devices” tab. The webcam that you have just shared on your local computer will be displayed there along with all the other USB devices that are available for remote connection.
- Find the device you need and click “Connect”.
This is it! Now, your remote system will be connected to the webcam over the network as though it were its local device.
What’s important to remember when sharing USB over Ethernet:
- If you would like to control access to your shared USB webcam, you can set a password authorization that will protect the device from unwanted connections.
- To be able to share a webcam over the Internet, your local computer, to which the device is connected physically, needs to have an external IP address.
- When redirecting some sensitive data to a remote computer it’s recommended to enable traffic encryption. This will protect your data from being intercepted or lost.
- It will be a good idea to use the traffic compression option in case you are dealing with limited bandwidth or just want to speed up your communication.